Who We Are
The Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) is a national industry association proactively representing the interests of its members.
We have more than 100 members ranging from small "boutique" labels typically run by 1-5 people, to medium size organisations and very large companies with international affiliates.
ARIA is administered by a Board of Directors comprising senior executives from record companies, both large and small.
What We Do
ARIA is a national industry association representing major and independent record producers, manufacturers and distributors. It acts as an advocate for the Australian music industry, administers the labeling code of practice, provides a ‘blanket’ non-exclusive licensing function for copyright users and compiles industry information and research.
ARIA is active in many key areas of the music industry -
- We act as an advocate for the industry, both domestically and internationally
- We support Australian music, and create opportunities to help it be heard
- We play an active role in protecting copyright and the fight against music piracy
- We collect statistical information from members and retailers and compile numerous ARIA charts with data provided by over 1,100 retailers and digital music services
- We are a focus for industry opinion and compiler of industry information and views
- We provide in certain cases, a reproduction licensing function on behalf of its participating members, for various copyright uses
- We stage the highly prestigious annual ARIA Music Awards
- We administer the voluntary Recorded Music Labelling Code of Practice in conjunction with the Australian Music Retailers Association (AMRA)
- We are the Australian International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) national agency, and allocates the Country and First Owner Codes to members for encoding on all audio and audio-visual recordings, as a method of identification
- We also help those in the industry who have fallen on hard times, through our support of Support Act Limited, the industry's benevolent fund.
- Our primary objective is to advance the interests of the Australian record industry by ensuring ARIA is a cohesive, effective and respected organisation.
With the continued support and membership of local record companies, ARIA's success is guaranteed. We harness the talents of key industry people to achieve the best outcome on industry issues and challenges.
If you're interested in becoming an ARIA member, please visit our membership section.